Los Angeles, CA: The multi-billion dollar budget of LAUSD attracts power hungry politicians on the Full Disclosure Network® special Video News Blog (12 min). Featuring the raucous debate over AB 1381 between the major players in the battle for control over the Los Angeles Unified School District. This video is available on demand, 24/7 as a public service.
Those featured in the video are:
- Antonio Villaraigosa, L.A. Mayor
- Roy Romer, LAUSD Superintendent
- Gloria Romero, State Senator
- Tom Saenz, Chief Counsel to the Mayor
- Jackie Goldberg, Member, California State Assembly
- Kevin Reed, LAUSD General Counsel
- Fabian Nunez, California Assembly Speaker
- Marlene Cantor, President L.A. Board of Education
- Scott Folsom, President 10th District PTA
- Alex Padilla, Los Angeles City Councilman
- Gerry Miller, Chief Legislative Analyst, L.A. City
- Gene Krischer, Friends of the Children
The California State Assembly Bill 1381 was proposed to give power over the funds and the schools to the Los Angeles Mayor and to take power from the elected School Board members. In this video many of the critical points are debated while legal experts predict the legislation is unconstitutional and will be invalidated if approved and signed into law.
Full Disclosure® has assembled video clips from a public hearing of the Assembly Public Education Committee, conducted by Chairman Jackie Goldberg, plus clips from the five-hour discussion on this issue by the Los Angeles City Council. Featured are searing debates between angry citizens and the Mayor’s Chief Counsel Tom Saenz and LAUSD General Counsel Kevin Reed.
LA City Councilman Alex Padilla concludes with the question “This bill is concerned with HOW to take control. But I haven’t heard the answer to the question: ‘Then what?’ Then what will the Mayor do to improve the schools?” This question remains unanswered.